Thursday, June 7, 2012

Opera 101 - Learning about opera

My how time flies!

In April I celebrated one year as Director of Development here at Opera Colorado. I continue to be in bliss with the opportunity to fundraise for this incredible organization.

When I came on board I knew practically nothing about opera. I had been fortunate enough to attend two Opera Colorado gala's due to a friend being on the board, but regarding the art form of opera I knew nothing.

As I have met hundreds of supporters of Opera Colorado, I realize that I am not alone. Almost every day I speak with someone who feels they know nothing about opera, or feels intimidated being around educated opera folks.

I can relate. And this is what I have done.

In the last year I have bought over 10 books about opera. My favorites are "Opera 101" by Fred Plotkin, "Getting Opera" by Matt Dobkin and "Ticket to the Opera" by Phil Goulding. Amazon.com has all of these available, many used editions that cost very little.

I also went to see a DU student presentation of Faust which I thoroughly enjoyed and added to my education of opera. This summer I'll be seeing Cosi Fan Tutte in St. Louis and La Rondine in Des Moines.

Lastly, there are several blogs out there as well as a lot of great information on Opera America's website: http://operaamerica.org/

There is so much to learn. And I need to continually remind myself that learning about opera is a process, not an event. It takes time. For me, it's been totally worth it.

Thank you for reading. If you have any questions please feel free to email me at dhanley@operacolorado.org

No comments: