Thursday, July 19, 2012

Opera 101 - Part II

I wanted to continue sharing the path I have been on since joining Opera Colorado's team last year, and definitely didn't want to write a 20-page blog. So here you have Part II!

Here is a list of things to consider when wanting to learn a little more about opera:

1. Catch at least three performances of different types of operas before you decide that you "don't like opera"! Try to go to different companies performing opera. We just saw "Cosi Fan Tutte" at Opera Theater of St. Louis and loved it. The experience was completely different than the ones I have had at Opera Colorado and I am so glad we went!

2. Check out a book about opera. Your local library has many options.

3. Use opera as the perfect date night. You don't have to love opera to make it part of a perfect evening with your beloved, or your best friend! Dinner reservations, perhaps a night in a nice hotel, join other opera goers for an after party, etc. A full evening that includes a live opera performance adds a lot to any relationship!

4. Know your opera. Before you go to a performance do a Google search for the opera you're about to see. Most opera companies (like us!) also do some type of pre-opera lecture and those are great to learn all sorts of wonderful hings about the opera. I have found that the more I know about the opera before the curtain goes up the more I enjoy the opera!

I hope these help! More to come!

Dan Hanley, Director of Development at Opera Colorado




No comments: