Tuesday, August 7, 2012

30th Anniversary Spotlight: Christopher Magiera

Meet the Man Your Mother Warned You About…

Opera Colorado’s Don Giovanni, Christopher Magiera

Opera Colorado audiences are in for a treat when baritone Christopher Magiera makes his Colorado debut, AND his role debut as the devilish seducer, Don Giovanni, in Mozart’s masterpiece, in March and April 2013. We are particularly pleased to present an outstanding cast composed entirely of brand-new-to-Opera Colorado-artists for Don Giovanni.

Christopher Magiera grew up on the north shore of Chicago. His parents were ticket holders at the Lyric Opera of Chicago, where he attended the opera as a child with them. The first performance he saw was Madama Butterfly, but he also distinctly remembers seeing Thomas Allen perform Figaro when he was about 8 years old. He remains to this day a die-hard Chicago sports fan: “I love the Cubs and Bears especially, as I grew up going to games from when I was a young kid. I'll still try to find any game on TV or radio that I can watch/listen to wherever I am in the world.”

“I have lived all over the place (multiple suburbs of Chicago, North Carolina, Australia, Maryland, Connecticut, New York, Florida, Munich and Dresden, Germany) most recently in Dresden where I was a member of the Semperoper for 2 years. I was asked to sing Giovanni there as in a revival production, but felt that the short rehearsal process would make the complex role difficult to master. So, I'm really glad I have the chance to do a new production of it at OC."

“I made my professional debut a few years ago as Onegin with Kevin Newbury directing, who is also directing the Don Giovanni. I'm very excited to work with him again, as I haven't seen him since.”

“One of my favorite things about performing is when I get to sing with someone I have admired and seen on stage. This has happened to me a few times and every time I am usually quite star struck. Often I say something really stupid and leave embarrassed. Most recently I worked with Alan Opie - an amazing baritone - who had lots to offer on Giovanni as a role and approaching it throughout one's career. It was such a treat to work with him."

When he’s not at the opera house, Chris likes to cook, exercise, play golf, go on long walks and a million other things. “I think cooking is one of the most important skills for a singer. If you master a few recipes that remind you of home, you can make them anywhere you go and feel that instant comfort which we all need at times on the road. Of course, now that Lou Malnatti's Deep Dish Chicago pizza - the best pizza in the world - delivers everywhere in the USA, it is even easier to find that taste of home.”

Finally, Chris has never been to Colorado. “Once I flew through the Denver airport but that's the closest I've come. I can't wait to get there and experience it!”

We’re looking forward to having you with us, Chris!


By Brad Trexell, Director of Artistic Operations


No comments: