Saturday, September 15, 2012

An opera World Premiere - The Scarlet Letter


To say that I am giddy about Opera Colorado's upcoming production of The Scarlet Letter is an understatement. After all, this will be my first official World Premiere in my opera life.

And when I say World Premiere, it is technically the professional World Premiere. This opera has been performed once, in a college setting.

The Scarlet Letter is a treat on many levels. The first is that it was composed by Lori Laitman, a superstar in my eyes and a woman who has been part of the movement (unofficial) that is currently breathing new, exciting life into the national world of opera. I have met her and if she is representative of the modern opera world then things look very bright for opera!

Another treat is that many people already know the story of The Scarlet Letter. It is still required reading in schools. Like I have said many times, an opera can be so much more enjoyable if you have even a small grasp on what it is all about when the curtain goes up.

I love operas in Italian and French. At Opera Colorado we have a subtitling system so that our patrons can read the translation throughout the opera. With The Scarlet Letter, it becomes even easier as the opera is in English. I look forward to the day when the language does not matter but today it still seems to.

Tickets go on sale on October 1st. This is an opera not to miss, brought to you by an opera company that continues to bring new and rarely performed operas to the Denver metro area. I hope to see you at one of the performances!

No comments: