Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Meet Joshua Bouillon, one of the 2012-2013 Opera Colorado Young Artists

Joshua, our tenor, joins the Opera Colorado family from New York State where he received his Bachelors degree from Liberty University and his Masters from the Eastman School of Music.








OC: When did you first know you wanted to be an opera singer?

It was not until my mid-twenties that I recognized that I had the gifts and abilities to be an opera singer.

OC: If you couldn’t be an opera singer, what would you be?

If I couldn’t be an opera singer I would be a music teacher/choral director in France. I love France!

OC: Do you prefer comedic or dramatic operas?

Though I do enjoy singing comedic roles I prefer dramatic opera because of the depths of emotion that can be explored and how it can go beyond the entertainment value of art.

OC: What is your favorite opera?

My favorite opera is Puccini's La bohème. I would love to sing Rodolfo.

OC: Who are you in a nutshell?

I am someone who is kind, sincere, and respectful, and ever striving to be all of the above.

OC: If you could have dinner with three famous people, who would they be?

William Wilberforce (British politician and philanthropist), Eric Liddell (Scottish athlete and missionary), and Dietrich Bonhoeffer (German Lutheran pastor and theologian). These are men who influenced or changed the world for the better because they held to their convictions even in the face of great adversity.

OC: If you could compose an opera on any topic, person, or event, what would it be?

I think I would compose an opera on the biblical narrative of Joseph found in the book of Genesis. The themes of envy and jealousy, and redemption and forgiveness would make for a very moving opera.

OC: What excites you the most about your season as an Opera Colorado Young Artist?

I am so thankful for the experience I will gain by having the privilege to be singing great roles with a great opera company.



This season Joshua will be performing the roles of Don José (Carmen) and Count Almaviva (The Barber of Seville) in Opera Colorado’s outreach touring productions, as well as covering the role of Romeo for Opera Colorado’s main stage production of Gounod’s Romeo and Juliet. He can also be heard, with all of the Young Artists, in Sideshow! on November 1, 2, and 3 at the Studio Loft at the Ellie Caulkins Opera House.

By Erin Acheson, Marketing and Promotions Coordinator

No comments: