Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Meet Alex DeSocio, one of the 2012-2013 Opera Colorado Young Artists

Kansan Alex DeSocio, one of our two baritones, joins the Opera Colorado family with a varied background. After an injury sidelined him from a college football career, he decided to focus on singing, earning his BM in Vocal Performance from Northwestern University in 2010 and recently completing his MM at the University of Maryland with the Maryland Opera Studio.

OC: Who are you in a nutshell?
A former football player and engineer who somehow found his way into singing for a living.

OC: If you weren't an opera singer, what would you be?
At this point in my life, I don't know. I would say a software engineer or computer engineer, but my injured right shoulder wouldn't allow either one of those careers.



OC: What are you most excited about as an Opera Colorado Young Artist?
The performance opportunities and working for a company that, even in a time of economic strife, has its house in order. Also, Denver seems like a wonderful place to live, work, and play.

OC: What is your favorite opera?
My favorite opera that I have performed in is Puccini's Il tabarro. My favorite opera that I have heard would be Faust.

OC: If you could sing any role, what would it be?
Iago in Otello because it is probably the most vocally and dramatically difficult opera ever written for the baritone voice.

OC: If you could compose an opera on any topic, person, or event, what would it be?
The Shawshank Redemption would be a pretty awesome opera in my opinion.

OC: If you were a food, what would you be, and why?
A bone-in ribeye steak because I would be delicious and if I have to be food, I might as well be a delicious one.

OC: If you could have dinner with three famous people, who would they be, and why?
The three people would be the lead scientist that just discovered the Higgs Boson at Cern, Dali Lama, and Shigeru Miyamoto. The lead scientist that discovered the Higgs Boson because it is the greatest discovery in science of my lifetime and will most likely change the world in the same way Oppenheimer did by splitting the atom. The Dali Lama because he seems like he has lived through just about everything and is still smiling and sane. He probably has some great stories too. Shigeru Miyamoto because as the creator of The Super Mario Brothers, The Legend of Zelda, Donkey Kong, etc., he has shaped my childhood more than any other external force that is not my family.


During the 2012-2013 season, Alex will perform the roles of Escamillo (Carmen) and Figaro (The Barber of Seville) in the company’s abridged touring productions, as well as Mercutio in the student matinee production of Gounod’s Romeo and Juliet.


By Erin Acheson, Marketing and Promotions Coordinator


No comments: