Thursday, October 18, 2012

Meet Jared Guest, one of the 2012-2013 Opera Colorado Young Artists

Jared Guest joins the Opera Colorado family as one of our two Young Artist baritones for the 2012-2013 season. Jared grew up in the suburbs of Orlando where he learned to love and appreciate classical music and opera. He received a Bachelor of Music degree in Voice Performance from Florida State University in Tallahassee and, after moving to Texas, earned his Master of Music degree in Voice Performance and Opera from the University of Houston’s Moores School of Music.





OC: When did you first know you wanted to be an opera singer?
I first knew I wanted to sing opera after seeing a production of I Pagliacci at vocal solo camp at Florida State University when I was thirteen.

OC: Who or what most influenced you?
My voice teacher in my undergraduate degree did the most to set up a solid foundation for my singing career, both vocally and emotionally. I owe him a great deal!

OC: Do you prefer comedic or dramatic operas?I prefer to perform in comic operas because they are a blast to put on, but if I'm going to attend an opera, it would be a dramatic one. If there aren't tears in my eyes when I leave the theater, I didn't like it.

OC: What are you the most excited about as an Opera Colorado Young Artist?
After living in Florida for most of my life, I’m excited to see snow!

OC: What are you least excited about as an Opera Colorado Young Artist?
I’m least excited about only being a young artist for one year. I wish it could be a longer program.

OC: If you could sing any role, what would it be?
If I could sing any role, I would sing Iago from Verdi's Otello.

OC: If you could compose an opera on any topic, person, or event, what would it be?
If I could compose any opera, it would be on Peter Pan. I think it could make a great libretto with a fantastic mezzo playing the title character.

OC: What do you love most in the world?
COFFEE!!!!!!!

OC: If you were a food, what would you be?
I would be moussaka, because I have many different layers and an unexpected spicy side.



During the 2012-2013 season Jared will be performing in the opera cabaret Sideshow! (November 1, 2 and 3 at the Studio Loft at the Ellie Caulkins Opera House), singing the roles of Zuniga/Narrator (Carmen) and Bartolo (The Barber of Seville) in the company’s abridged touring productions, and the role of Frère Laurent in the student matinee production of Gounod’s Romeo and Juliet.


By Erin Acheson, Marketing & Promotions Coordinator



No comments: