Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Meet Morgan Harmison, one of the 2012-2013 Opera Colorado Young Artists


Soprano Morgan Harmison graduated with a Master of Music degree from the University of Cincinnati’s College-Conservatory of Music in June 2010 and a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree from Carnegie Mellon University, and has performed with the summer programs of Opera Theater and Music Festival of Spoleto 2010, Songfest, Aspen, and Emerald City Opera Institute.


Q: Who are you in a nutshell?
I am a sweet, smart, and fun-loving country-girl with her fair share of “soprano moments.”

Q: When did you first know you wanted to be an opera singer?
When I was eleven, I thought I wanted to be a horse trainer, but one summer my pony got a stress fracture and I couldn’t ride for the summer.  My mother decided that I needed to do something, so she had me audition for a community production of Annie.  It was there that I caught the theater bug and continued to do musical theater until college.  After finishing my sophomore year at Carnegie Mellon University as a voice major, I went to a training program in Italy and fell in love with opera.

Q: Who or what most influenced you?
During the summers in high school, I attended Interlochen Arts Camp as a musical theater major.  However, I would get the leads in the operettas and chorus in the musicals every summer.  “Dude” Stephenson and Jim Bob Stephenson were the directors of the operettas, and they were two of many teachers who persuaded me to be a voice major in college. Being a voice major was one of the best decisions I ever made.  I love what I do!

Q: If you couldn’t be an opera singer, what would you be?
If I couldn’t be an opera singer, I’d be a meteorologist, despite my dislike for snow.

Q: If you could sing any role, what would it be?
Although I prefer performing comedies, I have also always wanted to die on stage (and thankfully, that is not hard to come by as a soprano).  I would love to play “Violetta” in La Traviata.

Q: What are you the most excited about as an Opera Colorado Young Artist?
I am most excited about dying onstage for the first time as Juliet! Sorry for the spoiler: Juliet dies.

Q: If you could compose an opera on any topic, person, or event, what would it be?
I would compose an opera based on the show Breaking Bad.

Q: If you could have dinner with 3 famous people, who would they be?
I love laughing so I would have dinner with some of the funniest ladies throughout the years: Carol Burnett, Tina Fey, and my all-time favorite, Lucille Ball. Is it ok that I raised one from the dead?

Q: What is something people don’t know about you?
I competed in Miss Pre-teen America when I was in 7th grade. I didn’t win overall, but I won the most important section: Talent!


During her residency with Opera Colorado, Morgan will perform the roles of Berta (The Barber of Seville) and Micaëla (Carmen) in the outreach touring productions, as well as Juliet in the student matinee production of Gounod's Romeo and Juliet.


By Erin Acheson, Marketing and Promotions Coordinator
 




No comments: