Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Happiness is a Warm Opera

It’s Wednesday, which means Whatever I Find Interesting. And this week I found something very funny, almost by chance.

See, the opera service organization, OPERA America, is wonderful at helping opera companies keep in touch with each other. So when someone from Utah Opera wanted to create a better, more interactive atmosphere in their lobby, they sent the call out to almost every opera company in the world for their ideas.

But that’s not the only neat part. Suzanne Calvin, Manager/Director Media & PR for The Dallas Opera, sent this:

Several years ago, when Bohème came around again, I decided to “Onion-up” Puccini’s rather torrid life story into a fake tabloid newspaper. Working with local graphics designers who set my tongue-in-cheek text with appropriately over-the-top headlines and actual photographs, we created a giant-sized newspaper mounted around the lobby area. It drew patrons like a magnet. Some got it, some didn’t, non-readers passed it by. However, it definitely sparked a lot of comments from patrons and visiting media types. And it was great fun to produce!

I got in touch with Suzanne, who cheerfully sent me their final version, which I give to you here. (It's kind of big, but well worth the wait.) A big kudos to the folks at The Matchbox Studio in Dallas, who made it look as great as it does. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I did!

Speaking of La Bohème, we open Puccini's work on November 6 and tickets are on sale now.

Ciao for now!
AriaGirl

No comments: