Thursday, July 12, 2012

30th Anniversary Spotlight: Meet Daniel Belcher

Opera Colorado audiences may never recover from baritone Daniel Belcher’s hilarious turn as Dandini in 2011’s Cinderella, and Gala attendees last season were further treated to his charms. He went on to delight Colorado audiences in last summer’s Central City Opera offerings of Gianni Schicchi and The Breasts of Tiresias. A winner of the 2010 Grammy Award for Best Opera Recording for his participation in Katia Saariaho’s L'Amour de Loin, Mr. Belcher is known for his vocal precision and pyrotechnics, along with his unequalled comic antics. We look forward to welcoming back Mr. Belcher to celebrate Opera Colorado’s 30th Anniversary in the role of Mercutio in Gounod’s Romeo and Juliet.



“I am thrilled to be a part of the 30th anniversary season of Opera Colorado. In many ways, Colorado has been a musical home to me. From training three seasons with Central City Opera (with my then fellow Apprentice Greg Carpenter…) to singing four leading roles there, twice singing Gilbert and Sullivan with the Colorado Symphony Orchestra, performing with Colorado Music Festival at Chautauqua and of course, performing with Opera Colorado, this State has been very good to me.

It is particularly thrilling to be back in Colorado in the 2013 season, as I made my debut in Colorado 20 years ago exactly. In a career that has taken me all over the world, there are few places I like to return more. I have developed wonderful, life-long friendships with patrons and administrators here that go well beyond the stage.

Hopefully, my wife and daughter will get to come out and maybe we can tack on a few days of skiing! We live in Kansas City, an easy day's drive from Denver and also New York. Needless to say this alone keeps us busy. My wife Kathleen is a stage director at the Metropolitan Opera and our 7-year old daughter keeps us running.

The longer and longer you are in this business, the smaller and smaller the world gets. I am thrilled to come back and collaborate with the cast of Romeo and Juliet and old friends and colleagues at OC. It should be a fun ride. I hope you will all be there! (I will be the one who dies in the swordfight!)”

By: Brad Trexell, Director of Artistic Operations

No comments: