Thursday, June 28, 2012

30th Anniversary Spotlight: Kelly Kaduce Returns!

Anyone fortunate enough to have witnessed Kelly Kaduce’s searing performance as Dvořák’s heroine Rusalka, in the 2011 season, and her heartbreaking "Song to the Moon," will be delighted to know that she will join us as a special guest for the 30th Anniversary Gala. Known throughout the opera world for her lyrically beautiful and intensely dramatic portrayals, Kelly literally becomes her characters on stage.

Married to operatic baritone Lee Gregory, who sang the role of Figaro in Opera Theatre of the Rockies’ production of The Barber of Seville immediately following OC’s Rusalka, Kelly juggles the superhuman demands of a busy operatic career, a new baby and a busy, traveling-and-singing husband! In between airports, rehearsal rooms (and diaper changes), Kelly kindly found a few moments to send us her thoughts on the latest developments in her life and on appearing in the Gala:


“Hello Opera Colorado! I am looking forward to returning this fall to sing with the lovely Cathy Cook on the 30th Anniversary Gala. I have very fond memories of being in Colorado last year to sing Rusalka while I was 6 months pregnant. I returned to the same production several months later in Montreal, but by then my baby was 6 months old! (Colin Lee Gregory was born only a few weeks after Kelly finished Rusalka in Denver.) Much to my relief, the costumes did get to be taken back in again rather than let out as they were to accommodate my growing belly. By the end of the production in Denver, I think the seams were almost ready to split! I couldn't have done one more show without a whole new set of costumes!

You have a very exciting upcoming season including the premiere of The Scarlet Letter! I wish I lived in Colorado so I could partake, but alas, my year is filled with international travel and two role debuts. A few days after the Gala concert in Colorado I am off to Australia to perform Madama Butterfly. I am particularly excited for this trip as it will be my first time Down Under. When I return I am singing Kevin Puts' new opera Silent Night which won the Pulitzer this year! This is a new opera for me and modern music always requires a bit more concentration to learn. I also have the chance to perform my first Liu in Turandot with Minnesota Opera. I will be thinking of you all in Colorado enjoying your fantastic season as I take "rear-end" breaks from the piano bench!

I look forward to seeing you all soon!”



By: Brad Trexell, Director of Artistic Operations

No comments: